If you caught our last podcast, you may remember that Pee-Wee is much beloved in our family. Speaking for my own nuclear family, we just flat out love Pee-Wee. My brother and I would wake up early to eat cereal and watch reruns of Pee-Wee’s Playhouse, it is mandatory every year that we watch the Pee-Wee’s Playhouse Christmas special (because it is amazing), and Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure is a family classic that is oft-quoted (“Paging Mr. Herman.”).
This new trailer doesn’t completely have me sold, but if Netflix is giving Reubens and Co. the creative liberties to rekindle the comedic sensibilities of the Pee-Wee of yore, sign me up.
Sure fire way to make a the Comic Con crowd and NFL crowd come together? Air a Star Wars trailer during the halftime of Monday Night Football. I had to actually figure out what channel ESPN is on in order to take in the sweet, sweet goodness that is this trailer. My thoughts and reactions were multiple and varied, but I thought I would run through some of them for you.
- First off, I cried. I am a bit of the “boy who cried wolf” as I cry at the drop of a hat, so this may not be saying much. It is of note, however, that I cried during this trailer out of pure excitement and not because of anything particularly sad.
- WHERE IS LUKE? The question that is haunting nerds everywhere. Is he good? Has he gone to the dark side? What is he doing? How much will he be in the movie? Looks like JJ and Co. are reserving that and more until December 18.
- I am happy to see Rey (Daisy Ridley) featured so prominently in the trailer, almost as if she is the lead. Star Wars has always suffered criticisms because of the its lack of ladies and while there may only be two (that we see the faces of) in the trailer, baby steps.
- How cute is BB-8? I want one.
- Is Finn a Storm Trooper? Former Storm Trooper? Why is he in the Storm Trooper getup? I am thinking former, especially with the line that we get here “I was raised to do one thing, but I’ve got nothing to fight for.” Perhaps he saw too much of the dark side in his former employers?
- How amazing do the effects look? Right mix of CGI and practical. It looks so beautiful.
- Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) is really channeling Darth. He seems to be a bit obsessed, really. That mangled helmet rings of Helga on Hey! Arnold.
- “It’s true all of it.” + John Williams score beginning to swell + Millenium Falcon in hyperdrive = Ellen crying
- Speculation about that look between Finn and Poe Dameron (Oscar Isaacs) are swirling, but I think it is just a moment of camraderie as they head into a fight that could be their last (or something like that), so calm down, internet!
- I know that the hilted light saber had its naysayers, but I dig it.
- Over whom is Daisy crying? Hmm?
- I love that moment of Han and Chewie with their hand on their heads. Looks like those crazy kids are still up to their hijinx.
- Again, so excited for Rey. She looks bad ass and integral to the story.
- This final montage of all these quick shots of epic looking action set piece makes me get goosebumps every time. There’s just so much I want to know!
- Han comforting Leia! I hope this means that those two worked everything out. I’m also hoping for a “scruffy looking nerf herder” at some point in all of this.
- Agh! That final moment of Finn and Kylo about to battle with light sabers? SQUEE!!!! Better yet, watch John Boyega’s reaction to that moment.
- My favorite part of all? That I still know nothing about this movie, really. Yes, I want to know everything, but only within the context of the whole movie.
It should be obvious, but December 18 could not come soon enough. If you have been living under a rock and have not seen this yet, watch it below. Or if you are like me and just want to watch it again, watch it below.
On the list of my favorite things, YA novels and dance movies both rank pretty high. Imagine my excitement when I got trailers for both The Giver and a new Step Up this week.
Yes, it looks like it may not be very faithful to the book, but HELLO! It has Meryl freaking Streep! Also, T-Swift.
An all-star Step Up movie? It’s only all of my wildest dreams coming true. “Does it always have to end up in a big giant dance battle?” Yes. Yes, it does, Moose. And don’t you dare take that away from me. – Ellen
I don’t mean to brag, but I saw most of this trailer back in July at Comic Con. (Oh, wait. That’s right. I love bragging about Comic Con. ) This doesn’t mean that I was any less excited to see this new trailer this morning. How rad does this look?! Granted, I will get excited about any Fassbender/McAvoy vehicle, but especially an X-Men movie. Which happens to work out nicely, since that is all they have done together.
Anyway, check out the trailer and get excited for May 23rd with me!
If you haven’t read the books, this trailer may do very little to get you excited. If, however, you have read the book, I have a sneaky suspicion that you get as stoked as I did. This looks very promising and Theo James as Four is really working for me.
Could my day get any better? I stumbled upon this trailer today and am now only upset that it took me a full week to do so.
Much Ado About Nothing has always been my favorite Shakespeare play, so when you throw in Joss Whedon, one of my favorite people out there, I’m sold.
The trailer has done nothing to put a damper on said excitement. In fact, it increasing with alarming frenzy after each viewing of the trailer. Maybe I should just stop watching it?
This actually looks pretty fun and, as EW puts it, “seems a lot closer to Zombieland than Twilight”.
I have a problem. Please know that I admit this knowing full well that this movie will not win any awards and it is still up in the air as to whether it will be any good, but I cannot stop watching the trailers and clips for Pitch Perfect.
Those who know me, know that I love a good song and dance number and maybe I am beginning to feel the loss of The Sing-Off, but I want to see this movie. Nay, I’m excited for this movie. Don’t ask me how it happened, because I’m not sure myself. All I know is the first time I saw the trailer, I thought, “That looks kinda lame with funny lines from Rebel Wilson.” Now, I have watched the scene of their underground a capella battle THRICE! The fact that it is an “underground a capella battle” is bad enough, but they are also able to do impromptu harmonies and dance moves for “S&M”, “Let’s Talk About Sex”, “I’ll Make Love to You”, “Feels Like the First Time”, and “No Diggity”. And Anna Kendrick raps! Even with all of that implausibility, though, I still want to see it because it looks like it will be a good time.
Whew. That feels better. It’s great to get that out there. Now, feel free to judge how you will.