How have I not been fired yet?
Seeing as how it is the 3rd of July, the 4th of July is tomorrow! What better way to celebrate the eve of this great day for this great nation of ours than to watch some patriotic moments.
5. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington “Fillibuster” Is there anything more American than a fillibuster? You’ve got democracy in action, freedom of speech, and Americans love to hear themselves talk. “You all think I’m licked. Well, I’m not licked and I’m going to stay right here and fight for this lost cause.
4. Team America: World Police “America: F*** Yeah” I haven’t even seen this movie but my brothers have sung this song enough times for it to make me feel patriotic. For the sensitivity of some of my readers, I won’t include the video. But I will link it.
3. Independence Day “President’s Speech” Maybe one of the best movie speeches out there and certainly the most patriotic. “And should we win the day, the Fourth of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day the world declared in one voice: ‘We will not go quietly into the night!’ We will not vanish without a fight! We’re going to live on! We’re going to survive! Today we celebrate our Independence Day!”
2. The Sandlot “Fireworks on the Fourth of July” This one ranks high for me partly out of nostalgia for the movie but mainly out of nostalgia for those summer days as a kid, running around the neighborhood with the smell of BBQ hanging in the air. Also, Ray Charles’ rendition of “America the Beautiful” is just the tops.
1. Miracle – Pretty much the whole movie I had a hard time picking a specific moment so I’m not going to. BUT, if you held a gun to my head, I would probably pick the moment where Mike Eruzione exclaims “I play for the United States of America!”
Honorable Mention: I tried to stick to movies only, but everything out of Ron Swanson’s mouth gets an honorable mention.
What moments from film or TV make you proud to be an American?
We here at Fangirly firmly believe you can buy happiness. How do we know? Because nothing brings us more joy than wearing our matching Supernatural T-shirts or tacking our Bones calendars up on our walls. That’s happiness, people. And in an effort to bring you the same joy, we’ve comprised a list of what we consider ‘Must-Have’s’ for any nerd worth their salt. All this happiness may put a dent in your checking account, but the envy in your friend’s eyes when they see your awesome swag will be worth every penny.
River Song’s TARDIS Journal: Spoilers! This replica of River Song’s diary in the shape of our favorite blue box is a great place to record all of your adventures in time and space. If you’ve just gotta have it, you can get your very own TARDIS journal here. Just don’t read ahead, because we’re pretty such it will create a rift in the space/time continuum. Be sure to time travel responsibly!
Fringe Division Sweatshirt: Do you ever come home from a long day of rebelling against the Observer overlords and just wish you had something comfy to put on? Well now you can be cozy, AND identify yourself as a part of the resistance with this awesome Fringe Division sweatshirt! You can buy this little piece of the Fringe universe here at CafePress.com.
Ron Swanson Pyramid of Greatness Poster: There is a LOT of fab swag for Parks and Rec, mainly because there are so many things that come straight from the show. Take for example the Lil’ Sebastian shirts, the Pawnee Porpoises shirts, or the Knope campaign buttons. Perhaps the best P&R swag, though, is this glorious purpose. Glorious in it’s stand alone hilarity and it’s educational value. Where else are you going to gain nuggets of wisdom such as “Honor: If you need it defined, you don’t have it” or “Intensity: Give 100%. 110% is impossible. Only idiots recommend that.” (Click that image for the other gems). This poster is available on NBC.com and probably other sources that I am too lazy to look up. That’s how they get you.
Tina “Butts” Shirt: If you still aren’t watching this show, shame on you. What are we going to have to do to convince you? If you are watching, you know that if there is one thing that Tina loves, it’s butts. Most of her energy goes into getting a glimpse at a good butt. And its hilarious. We love Tina. We love her fascination with butts. And we love this shirt. All Christmas gift-givers out there, take note, because none of us yet own it. This shirt is available at BustedTees.com (which has a lot of other really fun shirts, as well).
-Whitney and Ellen
File this one under “Best Thing to Happen to the Internet”. Nay, the world! I especially love the trailer for Ben’s stop-motion movie, any point where Chris Pratt says anything, and any time when Nick Offerman laughs.