In preparation for the forthcoming Arrested Development season (!!), I set the necessary goal of re-watching the first three seasons. Upon finishing all of the episodes in an embarrassingly short span of time, I browsed Netflix looking for something else to put on. I am going to blame boredom for making me start watching Teen Wolf, but I have only myself to blame for watching the first two seasons in the span of two days. Yep, that happened. Not that me watching a lot of TV should come as shock anymore.
The “embarrassing” factor comes into play when I tell you that Teen Wolf isn’t that good. But like most entertainment that isn’t very good, it’s a pretty fun ride and it isn’t all bad. I would find myself guffawing at a poorly delivered line and then a second later I would get wrapped up in a genuinely sweet moment or hit play on the next episode because I had to know what happened next.
Also, let’s not beat around the bush, the boys on this show are adorable. I use the words “boys” and “adorable” because they are all younger than me and I feel the need to tread lightly. WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN?! I suppose when I left that key 18-24 demographic. But really, Stiles (played ever so endearingly by Dylan O’Brien) is the best part of the show and “awwed” every time he and his little puppy face came on screen.
If teen supernatural shows are in your wheelhouse (I’m looking at you, TVD fans), then I think that you would get hooked, too. Check it out! Seriously. It’s a good time.
5) Are you Afraid of the Dark– I had a classic love/hate relationship with this show. Love, because it was the scariest thing my mom would let me watch at the time. Hate, because those tweenage jerks swiped the coolest club name in recorded history. What am I supposed to do, the next time I want to start a secret society where all the cool kids get together and swap creepy stories around a non-regulation camp fire? How am I ever going to top “The Midnight Society”?! I really don’t think “Middle of the Night Society” has the same ring to it. Jerks.
4) Gag me with a spoon– How is a modern lady supposed to express her derision for a particular person, place, or thing without pretending to stick a finger down her throat? With her words? As if! Careful articulation is for squares.
3) 90’s Music Videos- They even had a whole TV network dedicated to them. Now that’s what I call innovation. My favorite had to be the classic Chumbawamba hit “Tubthumping”. So. Awesome. I can’t count how many times my brother and I stared at each other from across the dinner table and, over our glasses of kool aid, sang “pissing the night away”. We were so cool.
2) Tom Everett Scott- Even six year old me knew your boffability was off the charts. SCHAAAWING.
1) Good Disney Movies– Yeah, I went there. Remember when Disney movies used to be funny and smart and scary and, occasionally, a little too sexy for our impressionable brain-sponges? Case and point: there is an ENTIRE song in The Hunchback of Notre Dame where Frollo wails about his lust for Esmeralda. It’s probably been a while for most of us, so here’s a clip to refresh your memory. Note the sexy dancing chick in the fire. Even as a seven year old I knew there was only one way to interpret that.
What do you miss about the best decade of the 20th century? Let us know in our comment section!