I feel I am safe in shouting this from the rooftops now because it has been a week, but BEN AND LESLIE ARE GETTING MARRIED! I couldn’t be happier for these two crazy kids. Yeah, I know, they’re fictional but that doesn’t hinder my excitement for the most adorable couple on TV.
Their perfect proposal got me thinking about other TV proposals which got me thinking about making a list. I have compiled 5 of my favorite with the following disclaimers: Ben and Leslie may very well top this list but it’s too fresh to tell for sure, so I excluded it here. Also, these are only from the shows that I watch, so there are going to be blind spots that I missed.
5) Michael and Holly – The Office: In their mad dash to give Michael Scott an epic send-off, the Office crew brought Holly back to make sweetly dorky music with Michael again. This was great because it got everyone involved and showed everyone’s attachment to Michael despite all of his buffoonery in the past. And let’s not forget, it was sweetly romantic. The simulated rain, the candles, the first place they fell in love, and any proposal that happens in Yoda voice is A-OK in my book.
4) Turk and Carla – Scrubs: This proposal is greatly aided by it’s simplicity and Old 97’s “Question”. Turk kept asking and asking and Carla kept refusing to give an answer, until she calls Turk and tells him to ask again. Turk comes running, they meet in a park, and we just watch as they finally get their moment. Then, because this is still Scrubs, J.D. comes in running around with sparklers. Love it. And “Question” was playing in my car for a good couple months after this one.
3) Charlie and The Waitress – It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia: That sweet guy who has been mooning over you at the coffee shop for years writes a musical so that he will finally have his moment to tell you how he really feels and propose marriage. Sounds kind of sweet, right? Well, the musical has a pedophile troll, a princess who wants little, baby boys, and penetration from behind. Not all proposals are perfect and it may not be a huge surprise that The Waitress turned down Charlie, but this one is still up there for me.
2) Jim and Pam – The Office: I was Team Jim and Pam from the very beginning (mainly because I had been Team UK Tim and Dawn and I knew what was coming). I cheered when they finally kissed and I wept when Jim moved away and started dating Ann Perkins. With all their ups and downs, their sweet proposal in the rain at the gas station that was halfway between them was perfect. And I’m starting to realize that Michael Schur and Co. should plan all of life’s proposals.
1) Monica and Chandler – Friends: I know I’m not alone, but I loved Friends. Like, LOVED it. My love of this proposal is only increased by the fact that Chandler was my favorite guy and Monica was my favorite girl. This just seems to be TV doing a proposal right. Just when it seems that everything has gone to hell in a hand basket, you open the door to find a room full of candles. I love how neither of them can get through what they want to say without crying, because that will probably be me. I’m a weeper. Let’s move past it.
Honorable mentions: Matt and Julie on Friday Night Lights, Homer and Marge on The Simpsons, Will and Emma on Glee
What do you think? Did I miss your favorite? Because in researching this, I realized that there haven’t been as many as you would think.