We are well into summer which can only mean one thing: we are well into So You Think You Can Dance. Well, we are at least past the auditions (thank goodness) and are now onto the good stuff! I love me some SYTYCD so I, of course, have my favorite dances. You will notice that I am partial to certain styles and certain choreographers. Sorry ballroom and Mandy Moore (the choreogrpaher and not the pop star/”actress”). What can I say, I know what I like.
10. “If It Kills Me”- Jeanine and Jason – Season 5 Contemporary – Choreographed by Travis Wall
Travis Wall has some great dances but I have always loved this one featuring the locket. It also introduced me the acoustic version of this Jason Mraz song which I proceeded to play on loop for the rest of that summer.
9. “I Am the Best” – Jenna and Mark – Season 10 Jazz – Choreographed by Mark Kanemura
Mark’s first run at choreo on the show totally won me. It is weird and awesome which is always a winning combo for me on this show. Definitely best use of a ponytail on this show. Possibly ever.
8. “Gravity”- Kayla and Kupono – Season 5 Contemporary – Choreographed by Mia Michaels
I was biased going into this dance because I love the song, but Mia’s depiction of the turmoil of addiction was beautiful and haunting. Something always brings me back to this dance.
7. “Bleeding Love”- Chelsie and Mark – Season 4 Hip-Hop – Choreographed by Nappy Tabs
Season 4 was my first season that I watched so I have always been partial but this was the first dance that I remember watching over and over. Also, just Nappy Tabs. I love them infinity.
6. “The Garden”- Courtney and Mark – Season 4 Jazz – Choreographed by Sonya Tayeh
Oh, Sonya. You can spot one of her dances from a mile away and this has always been the epitome for me. It is her patented blend of creepy/spastic/sexy/weird.
5. “Mercy”- Twitch and Katee – Season 4 Contemporary – Choreographed by Mia Michaels
Whoa, three season 4 dances in a row! Not intentional but like I said, I’m partial to season 4. Another thing I am partial to? Twitch. He is just my favorite dancer ever from this show. This one goes down as best use of a prop for me.
4.”Circle of Life”- Group Routine – Season 9 Hip-Hop – Choreographed by Nappy Tabs
I must have watched this dance at least 10 times the night it debuted. The super cool remix is just a bonus on top of an awesome dance. I never know where to look during it because there is just so much going on!
3. “Ramalama Bang Bang”- Group Routine – Season 2 Jazz – Choreographed by Wade Robson
Another weirdo dance that I really love. What does this say about me. I cannot listen to this song without doing that “unzip my body take my heart out” move. And I listed to this song a lot.
2. “Bang Bang”- Eliana and Alex – Season 9 Contemporary – Choreographed by Stacey Tookey
The quiet simmer of this dance is utterly enthralling. I can never look away.
1. “Outta Your Mind”- Twitch and Alex – Season 7 Hip-Hop – Choreographed by Nappy Tabs
Look, I love the hip hop on the show. Especially when it is Nappy Tabs and ESPECIALLY when it is Twitch. Also, Alex freaking Wong. He is just too good in this dance to be a ballerina.
What is your favorite SYTYCD? I still have a lot of favs that I had to leave off, so I’m sorry if it was yours.