Being a twenty-something undergrad with no marketable skills and a crippling TV habit can have a lot of fun upsides (all day Joss Whedon marathons, low-budget Oscar parties, a staggering collection of Doctor Who merch). Low-paying menial jobs are not one of them. Luckily, I found a way to numb the drudgery without ever having to resort to pills or after work fight clubs. I call it RASH, or Rom Com MASH. It combines all the randomized fortune-telling nonsense of a MASH game with the Romantic Comedy tropes we know and love, effectively allowing you to build your own rom com. Allow me to demonstrate:
1) First list your possible Leading Men
2) Next list your character’s possible career. This is important because it tells your audience what kinda gal you are without requiring any actual character development. For the purposes of this example, I’m going for the ol’ Driven-But-Emotionally-Unfulfilled-Career-Woman. Classic.
- High ranking magazine editor
- Journalism student looking for her big break in the big city
- talented cardiac surgeon who needs someone to work on her heart
- you get the idea
3) Now think up some possible Meet Cutes. Decide how you and your squeeze first meet.
- Oh no! You try to hail the same cab in the rain
- You are mismatched co-workers in a very cramped office space
- you both are chosen to fight for your lives in a dystopian death match in post-apocalyptic America (my personal favorite)
This process can go on for a while. Who’s going to play your spunky BFF? What’s your movie’s theme song? What’s your Box Office take? Once you’ve got your categories lined up, all that is left to do is play! Believe me, if you are a cinephile with a lot of time on your hands, this is your game. Share your results in our comment section!